December 17, 2011

Crayon Rolls (Tutorial)


I made a version of crayon rolls that I like more than the previous ones I've done. It has a hair tie as the opener since not many toddlers know how to tie a bow. Start out with two or three coordinating fabrics. (Ignore all the different fabrics in my pictures.  I was making four of these at once and so some pictures have different fabrics in them.)  Cut them as follows.

2 pieces 5 inches by 16 1/2 inches for the inside and outside
1 piece 6 inches by 16 1/2 inches for the pockets where the crayons go
(you can also add a piece of fabric in the middle to make it thicker...i would pick white though.)

Iron the six inch piece in half (so it makes it 3 inches by 16 1/2 inches.  Find the middle of this piece and make 1 inch marks from the center line.  I used an erasable marker found at hobby lobby or any craft store for this part.  Put the outside piece aside and pin the now 3 inch piece and the inside piece together.   This is what it will look like at this point:
Sew along the lines with a straight stitch. 

Take a cloth and erase the marker after you have sewn all the lines.
Take a hair elastic and sew it to the end of one side. (Make sure it is turned in so the majority of the elastic is facing the pocket  holes you just sewed.)  Sew it on there REALLY good.
Next I like to make a ric rac border but it is not at all necessary.  I just pin ric rac all the way around my border.

Put your outside piece on top at this point making sure the right sides of the fabric are facing each other.  (The sides you want to see at the end should be in the middle.)  Sew alone the outside making sure to leave a spot where you can flip it inside out.

Flip it inside out and iron it flat. 

Pin the hole that you used to flip it inside out and stitch all the way around the outside as close to the edge as possible.
Sew on a button about four inches away from the elastic on the outside piece.
And you are done...insert crayons and begin fun!
These are the four I made for my friend for her stocking stuffers for her four girls.  I love love love them, I hope she will too.
These are the insides of them.

I hope that tutorial made sense...if not I can try and clear up any questions you have if you want to leave a comment.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea to use hair ties instead of ribbon to fasten shut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Now I just need to learn how to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh THANK YOU for posting this!!! I am making these as gifts for my son's 1st birthday! Thanks again! What a great post! Would you please share this with our readers for fun stuff fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-6.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...