September 9, 2011

Felt Car Mat

My sons felt car mat is finally done and it looks fabulous.  I was going to make it and hot glue everything onto it, but I decided it would be more durable to sew it.  It is so cute and I'm so glad that I took the time to sew it together.  My son loved to help place roofs on the houses and decided what colors certain places like our house and grandmas houses were going to be.  By the way, our house is red with an orange roof.  I love that I made garages and parking spaces so that he had somewhere to park his vehicles.  This car mat is our neighborhood and very familiar to him.  It is fun to make something that he can relate to.  When he first got to play with it, he parked a car at our house then drove it straight to grandmas.

This is our neighborhood, complete with a church kiddie corner from our house and a park.

Mcdonalds was a must for my son when I asked him what places he wanted on his mat.  Also equipped with a police station and Grandpas office, Eyecare of Lehi.
There is a gas station.  Grandmas house (gray with an orange roof) and our other Grandmas house (the brown dirt road)!
The Utah Lake, next to both Grandmas houses
These are the dimensions I used, in case you are interested in making your own....also the large green piece of felt is a yard.


I'm glad that I took the time to make this because my son loves it!  All I can hear right now is vroom vroom....and I couldn't be happier.

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!









Photobucket


5 comments:

  1. Adorable. I keep thinking I would have loved something like this when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this!!! The fact that it replicates your own neighbourhood make it ever better. This is a fun, educational toy. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It came out great, I made a couple for birthday gifts and they went great! You are extra awesome for taking the time to sew it though! I am visiting from Momnivore's Dilemma and I am a new follower! I hope you stop by my Delicately Constructed linky party and share this great project!!
    Hope you have a great weekend!!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking of sewing this for my boy for Christmas. Boys love their cars, right?! Can you give me an idea of how much felt to buy? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My green was between a yard and a yard and a half, black will prob need a yard, just cause you have to cut long strips and other colors not very much at all! I would say 1/8-1/4 yard each. That is just guessing. Hope it goes well, I would love to see pictures when you are finished, good luck!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...